Borrowing & Fees
Each registered patron may borrow a total of 50 items. However, you may only take 25 items at any one time. Of those 50 total items, you may borrow up to:
- 3 items on a new card (for first-time borrowers)
- 12 periodicals (4 of any one title)
- 3 puppets
- 1 Youth Room Theme Kit
- 4 media kits (Youth Room book-CD combinations)
- 8 DVD's/Blu-Rays
- 1 pass to an area museum or zoo
- 1 video game
- 1 library of things item
- 1 puzzle
- 1 board or outdoor game
- 1 memory kit
All CW MARS items have an automatic renewal for one additional loan period, and if an email address is on file, a notification will be sent notifying you of upcoming due dates and renewals. If you have questions, please call (413) 736 - 4561 x 0.
Please note that any items borrowed from outside of the CW MARS network are not eligible for renewals.
Museum Passes: 5 (Five) dollars per overdue day. Otherwise the library is now fines free as items are returned.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Your borrowing privileges will be suspended if one or more of the following applies:
- you have one (1) or more item(s) more than 30 days overdue (considered “lost”)
- you claim to have returned more than three (3) items not found in the library
- your accumulated fines exceed $10.00. Once returned, fines are forgiven.
- you have had your privileges denied due to violation of the Library's Codes of Conduct
All DVD's, Blu-Rays, and Magazines
NEW Adult Books, NEW Young Adult Books, and Video Games
All other books, music, audio-books, puppets, puzzles, board games, outdoor games, library of things items, equipment, and multimedia kits
Audiovisual and Digital Resources
- Library materials in bags must be returned to the desk inside during open hours. When the library is closed, most other items can be returned to the exterior book drop, including audio books, DVD’s, Blu-Rays, and “red case” dispenser items. Items will be considered “on time” if returned before 9:00am of the next open day from the due date.
- $1.00 will be charged for lost or damaged dispenser red cases.
- $5.00 will be charged for lost or damaged media cases or liner notes.
- $5.00 will be charged for lost Playaway battery covers, cases, or lanyards.
- The West Springfield Public Library is not responsible for any damage to equipment as a result of using library materials or as a result of illegal use or misuse of its resources.
- The borrower assumes responsibility for all DVD's, Blu-Rays and video games while in his/her possession and is reminded of the copyright laws: the item is for private use only, which prohibits any other use, copying, reproduction, or public performance.
- Please handle all discs with extreme care. They are easily scratched and cracked.
- If you notice that an item appears to be damaged, please alert a staff member before you borrow the item.
Replacement Fees for Lost or Damaged Materials
- Adult Nonfiction - $25.00
- Adult Fiction - $23.00
- Large Print Books - $23.00
- Juvenile Fiction - $15.00
- Juvenile Non Fiction - $18.00
- Juvenile Picture Books-hardcover - $18.00
- Juvenile Picture Books-trade - $5.00
- Juvenile Boardbooks - $8.00
- Beginning Reader - $12.00
- Educational Theme Packs - Priced as Indicated
- Toys and Puppets - Priced as Indicated
- Paperback-Adult/Young Adult/Juvenile - $5.00
- Young Adult Fiction - $18.00
- Young Adult Non Fiction - $23.00
- Magazine or Periodical - $3.00 for Juvenile and $5.00 for Adult/Young Adult
- Compact Disc-Adult /Young Adult/Juvenile - $15.00
- DVD and Blu-Ray - Adult/Young Adult/Juvenile - $20.00
- Playaways - $50.00
- Book and CD sets - Replacement Fee Varies
- Audio Books-Adult/Young Adult/Juvenile - Replacement Fee Varies
- Museum Passes - Replacement Fee Varies
- DVD Dispenser Cases - $1.00
- Miscellaneous fees for cleaning/repair - $1.00-$5.00
In lieu of the replacement fees listed, a patron may replace any lost or damaged items with an exact duplicate of that item with final approval upon inspection by the librarian-in-charge. Late fees still apply.
The Library does not charge fees for most services such as the use of special collections, library sponsored programs, or borrowing books. However, certain fees do apply. Printed pages or photocopies are $0.20 per page for black & white and $0.40 per page for color. Excessive replacements of lost or damaged library cards may be $1.00.
A refund, minus a processing fee, will be granted to any patron presenting the payment receipt and found item within 30 days of payment. Patrons must complete a refund request form and will be mailed payment after the request is processed.
Any Massachusetts resident age 5 and older may apply for a West Springfield Public Library card. As a member of C/W Mars, West Springfield Public Library accepts all other member library cards for borrowing purposes. Therefore, you would not need a library card specifically for WSPL if you already have a card from another local library. Applicants for library cards must show proof of address and complete the card application. Patrons may borrow up to three items the day of applying. The library card is then mailed to the patron and may be used at other area C/W Mars libraries. Learn more about applying for a new library card.